Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe
Lower Elwha Klallam TribeHistory
The Lower Elwha Clallam Tribe is one of the three Clallam bands recognized by the federal government. Their reservation was begun in 1936 when the United States bought 372.74 acres and put it in trust, which lays northeastern of the Olympic Peninsula.
They developed a constitution and bylaws in 1968. The governing body is the Lower Elwha Tribal Community Council, elected by all qualified voters. The children attend public schools. The local, state and federal agencies provide health care and other services. The community conducts fisheries enhancement through the Point-No-Point Treaty Council.