The Quinault people were isolated from the whites until the first recording on July 13, 1775 when they visited a Spaniard vessel Sanora in their canoes. Then in 1854 a white settler James Swan believed the Quinaults living up the river had never seen whites. In the 1880's whites began moving in on the Quinaults. The Quinaults signed the same treaty as did the Quileutes on January 25, 1856. The Quinault Reservation originated from the treaty. By an executive order the reservation was enlarged on November 4, 1873. Then on February 17, 1892 the president authorized allotments. The last 2,340 allotments was finished by 1933. There was no tribally owned land left. The Quinault people resisted farming and wouldn't send their children to school.
The tribal Business Committees functions under the bylaws adopted Aug. 24, 1922. They accepted the Indian Reorganization Act in 1934 but didn't reorganize under the terms. The tribe has a reservation police force, tribal court including a chief judge and associate justices. In 1975 they adopted a new constitution which assigned a decision making power to eleven member Business Committee. For the lands ceded under the Quinault River Treaty the Queet Indians, Quileutes, they, and the Hohs received $25,000 as stipulated by treaty. The Indian Claims Commission determined that all four tribes had 688,00 acres as of March 8, 1858. The commission in a compromise with the Quinaults and Queets tribe ordered a judgement against the United States of $205,172.40 on June 25, 1962. The money was awarded on April 17, 1973.