The Point Elliott Treaty of January 22, 1855 established the Tulalip Reservation. When first established it was 22,489.91-acres and an executive order enlarged it to 24,300-acres. In the 1840s the people became under the influence of the Roman Catholic missionaries. The tribe did not adapt to agriculture very quickly like the federal government wanted them to. They stayed with fishing, hunting and gathering. Many had to start finding jobs off the reservation to provide for their needs. The allotments were conducted on the Tulalip Reservation between 1883 and 1909.
The tribe operates under their constitution and bylaws that were adopted January 24, 1936. The board of directors supervise tribal affairs. The active committees administer lands, leasing, loans, education, enrollment, water resources and roads, hunting and fishing and recreation. The tribe did not file a petition with the Indian Claims Commission for any claim as successor. In the 1970s more than half of the reservation had been sold to non-Indians (13,995-acres). There were 4,571-acres owned by Indians, 3,845-acres of that land is tribally owned in trust, 80 of it is owned by the Tulalip Tribe in fee patent-status.